Acne scar Reduction
Acne Scar Reduction
The commonest cause of scars on the face will be where there has previously been acne but other causes might include scars from previous chicken pox or injury to the skin.
Acne scarring can have a particularly negative impact on a person as they have had the initial skin problem and having got rid of that they are left with the scarring as a permanent reminder.
Scars are composed of collagen, naturally produced by the skin to repair itself but sometimes, intense inflammation can leave a scar. Acne scars are typically indented because of collagen loss as a result of intense inflammation. This can happen even without picking especially in cystic acne.
The scars can be varied and multiple types may be present in the same individual.
Ice pick scars are deep, narrow and pitted scars.
Boxcar scars are broad depressions with sharply defined edges.
Rolling scars are broad depressions with sloping edge giving the skin a lumpy appearance.
Hypertrophic scars are raised scars.
People with dark skin tones may also notice hyperpigmentation within the scars while people with lighter tones tend to get redness within the scars.
Today’s cosmetic treatments can reduce or even remove scars.
Frequently Asked Questions
What makes acne scar worse?
Picking and squeezing: The skin in a scar has undergone intense inflammation. Picking the scar will cause further inflammation and make it worse. Squeezing a spot causes bacteria to filter deeper into the skin, resulting in more collagen damage. So as I always say, leave it alone!
What makes scars better?
The Treatment options I offer
At Skin Enhance Clinic, I have dealt with many people with scars they are worried about and I can offer the following for acne scarring. It is important to remember that all the treatments are aimed at reducing the scars and will take a number of treatments over a period of time to be effective.
A course of Collagen induction therapy (Medical skin needling).
A course of targeted Medical Skin Peels from Obagi® Medical, ZO® Skin Health, AlumierMD or Neostrata®.
Please note that these treatments are not suitable for active acne but prescription skincare may be customised to help. Please book an appointment with me for an in depth consultation.
So you had acne and it’s cleared now but you are left with these permanent marks on your skin. Most people feel quite self-conscious having these unattractive scars on their face. How do scars form? Scars are the endpoint of normal skin healing. When the skin is...
What would you say to a treatment that would stimulate your skin to repair itself and reveal brighter, glowing skin? Yes, please! How does microneedling work? A device is used to deliver thousands of micropuncture wounds to the skin. The skin then reacts by releasing...
Book Your Treatment Today
Five Good Reasons To Choose Skin Enhance And Wellness
Just what makes our cosmetic skin and wellness clinic so unique?
Here are five reasons why you should choose us when you are considering cosmetic treatment.
- The guiding principle of Skin Enhance And Wellness is to deliver exceptional patient care and Dr Tash always has her patient’s welfare at heart.
2. You start with a face-to-face consultation and there will be plenty of time to consider all your options, and ask any questions you might have before you decide, together with Dr Tash, what treatment is right for you.
3. Dr Tash will work with you to identify the correct solution for you, one that is appropriate for your needs and meets your expectations.
4. Dr Tash only ever uses the best products that are sourced for her clinic through official UK Pharmacies eliminating, as far as is possible, any risk to her patients and assuring the quality of the treatments given.
5. While Dr Tash knows that to most people having cosmetic treatment is all about being more confident, she firmly believes that consultation can also help to reduce any emotional and psychological effects that a patient might be experiencing with some skin conditions. There are many other things that Dr Tash can advise you on, and these include professional skincare products and maintaining healthy skin and wellbeing.